Wednesday 3 June 2009

A Green Frittata

This week has been terribly long. It's only Wednesday and I keep thinking it's Thursday. This is partly due to the fact that I had a brilliant time last weekend at the seaside, and will be headed for Cornwall this weekend to spend a week eating fish n' chips, cream teas and frolicking on the beach. What with all this excitement, time has plodded along, shuffling it's feet.

I needed to clear the fridge out of any perishables that might be lurking. It's all too easy to chuck it into a stir-fry, but I had 8 eggs to use and that would be some seriously eggy fried rice. Instead, I decided to add them all to a frittata. Consequently, I came up with this rather green affair.

This was just as delicious warm with a salad as it was cold, stuffed in a baguette for lunch. You don't have to fry the potatoes in quite as much oil as I did, but I found this helped cook them quicker. Leftover boiled spuds work nicely too. To be honest, you can really add whatever you like or anything that needs using up - I omitted adding cheese and in hindsight, this was a bit of a mistake. You should always add cheese.


Green Frittata

Serves 4

8 free range eggs

3 small white onions

1 courgette

3 large closed cup mushrooms

A handful of parsley (I used curly, but flat is also fine)

2 large potatoes

A mugful of peas

1 clove of garlic

A sprinkle of chilli flakes

Peel the potatoes and cut into slices about the thickness of a pound coin. In a non-stick 30cm pan heat up about 2" of cooking oil, and carefully add the slices of potato. Fry until golden on each side and cooked through; about 10 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.

Meanwhile, grate the courgette and squeeze all the water out. Put the peas in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Slice the onions finely and mince the garlic. Chop the mushrooms roughly, chop the parsley finely, and finally beat the eggs in a large bowl with plenty of salt.

Once the potato has been removed from the pan, tip out all the oil except for 3 tbsp. Fry the onions with the garlic until softened and slightly golden, then add the chilli flakes and the grated courgette. Cook on a high heat until wilted and there is no moisture left in the pan, then add the chopped mushrooms and again, fry on a high heat until there is no moisture. Drain the peas and throw them in. Turn the heat on low, add some of the egg mixture, lay the potato slices on top, and then add the rest of the egg mixture, throwing in the parsley as you go. Cook until the egg has set across the bottom (about 7 or 8 minutes) and then place under the grill until cooked through. Leave to rest for a minute and turn it out on a plate. Serve with a salad.

17 comments:

Anne said...

Looks very tasty! Am in similar position as going to Devon this weekend, hope the weather stays good for us!! :)

exromana said...

looks gorgeous!

Dan said...

I love a frittata type deal to use up leftover bits and bobs when I'm having a cheap week. Looks very tasty in the photos.

Douglas Blyde said...

What do you do with that tipped out oil?

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I agree - frittata without cheese doesn't quite work somehow! Glad I've found another frittata fan - it's always my fave fallback in the summer months and, as you say, great for using up leftovers.

Have a fabulous time in Cornwall!

Browners said...

Looks delicious... but also suspiciously like a "salad" omelette!?

Ollie said...

God that looks good. Would be great with a bit of chorizo too, I think. Do you always cook peas like that? I must try it. Have a brilliant time in Cornwall.

Helen said...

Me too - use up my leftovers in frittata that is. Om nom nom nom. I also agree on the cheese bit. Mmm, feta would look pretty with your green bits.

Anonymous said...

Mmm looks delicious. I usually parboil the potatoes as the only time I fried them they got a bit too crispy and took on too much colour. Perhaps the extra oil will help.

Like your idea of layering the potato/egg as I often end up with all the potato at the bottom and all the egg on top so will definitely do this next time!

pigpigscorner said...

A good way to get rid of leftovers! I'm so jealous! Enjoy your trip =)

kerstin said...

It's almost a Spanish tortilla! My absolute favourite is cooking with leftovers...

Boo said...

Looks lovely, very green! Agree about the cheese, a nice oozing strong cheddar works for me. Have a great holiday, I hope the weather brightens up and you enjoy all the fresh fish and cornish cream tea!

Hollow Legs said...

Thanks all!

Douglas - it went in the garbage.

Browners - there was leftover bacon (MAN FOOD) and I left it out!

Ollie - Yep, I usually do. I like them with a little bit of bite.

MsMarmiteLover - I was under the impression that tortillas are usually just egg, potato and onion where as frittata is typically cooked stove-top and then finished off under the grill.

Cc said...

wow im so glad ur a foodie too...loving the dishes.!well if u need a foodie buddy,lemme know :),im always hungry!

nora@ffr said...

yummm!! i love ye frittata.. great way to use up left overs.. thanx for the tip..
cheers!!

A Girl Has to Eat said...

Leftovers are always good.

Miss.Rachelle said...

Lizzie- thank god oyu like to eat becuase that fritatta is saving my Sat afternoon menue hole! I'll definately be adding oyu to my blogroll today!