Wednesday 29 February 2012

Banh Mi 11 at Berwick Street Market



The banh mi craze swept London last year and I found my favourite, Panda Panda in Deptford. Theirs were chock full of pickled vegetables, delicious pork and encased in a warm, rice flour baguette - what more could I want? I stopped looking. The one downside is, of course, that I don't work in Deptford, or anywhere near it. When I heard that Banh Mi 11, usually a fixture on Broadway Market, now had a pitch on Berwick Street, I couldn't get out of the office fast enough. I crashed into people rushing towards their stall.


And what of the baguette? Light bread was filled with Imperial BBQ pork, coriander, pickled Chinese turnip and was decently spicy. Petra of Eat St was next to me in line and she recommended the fish banh mi, but my eyes were only on the pork. At £5 it's more expensive than my favourite, and I'd have liked a little more (and varied) pickled veg but nonetheless this was an excellent lunch. No more fridge-cold sandwiches from Pret.

Banh Mi 11

Berwick Street Market - Mondays - Fridays 10am - 3pm

7 comments:

Heather @ The SW Food Blog said...

There's a really great Vietnamese tea shop which serves Bahn Mi in Crystal Palace, again, not really very central but worth it if you're in the area. Lovely Vietnamese coffee too.

Platter said...

Blimey. With Pizza Pilgrims there too, Berwick St Market seems the place to be.

Mr Noodles said...

It's not fair these guys have temporarily decamped to your manor! I want 'em back at Eat St at KX! Next time, try the pho - it's damn good.

Helen said...

Oh why must I work in camberwell why why WHY? Because that's where the hospital is. WHATEVER. I want more banh mi! Viet Cafe have a go but it's not amazing...le sigh.

Frank said...

Thanks for this tip - I work round the corner and it was soooooo good.

Will try the fish or crackling belly pork next.

Grumbling Gourmet said...

So after 10 years in Soho fruitlessly searching for Bahn Mi, this happens? TWO MONTHS after I move to Hammersmith? *sulks*

Anonymous said...

Found Banh Mi 11 at last in Shoreditch.
So glad I did. Superb food